Learning more about Asperger's Syndrome

Today I have the flu.  I decided to stay in bed and rest as advised by my friends and family. BUT, as restless as I am, I turned on my laptop and searched for Asperger's documentaries to better understand my son K. You see, I have been struggling with him lately.  Unlike before, he's more withdrawn and would rather not share anything about what happened during the day.  He doesn't know it, but he hurts my feelings when he says : "I'd rather not talk about it". I know that the AS makes him blind to emotions because he simply doesn't recognize them, thus making emotions irrelevant. I find this hard to deal with but it's something I need to accept and work with everyday to prepare him for life.

Anyway, allow me to share with you a video I found on You Tube about a teenager with AS. Reuben is a lot like K, being very literal, the bullying, confusion in the supermarket, self-confidence issues. Among all the videos I've seen, this is the one I can relate to the most. And I hope that by sharing it with all of you, you can understand my K a lot better too.


Comments

  1. That was very enlightening, thanks for posting!...And I hope you're feeling better now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's more difficult because sometimes you forget that he is not normal, because sometimes he looks normal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting to know the induction cooker

One Big Step for K!